Sunday, October 15, 2017

Halloween - Part 2: In Crochet

Nearly every night Bug-A-Boo asks to sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider".  This, of course, includes all of the hand motions.  It's one of her favorite songs, mostly because of the had movements I think.  When we sing it in the car, she even runs through her version of the motions from her car seat.


It's a cute song.  It's nice and short, which unfortunately lends itself to repetition.  And at this point I'm pretty positive I could go through the whole thing, hands and all, in my sleep.

After the umpteenth time my mind has started to wonder while singing this song.  Sometimes it's different lyrics, which I am told are not OK to sing out loud.  Sometimes I just wonder if that itsy bitsy spider ever gets to be a big fat spider.

Out of this wondering came a Halloween doily and a short poem to go along with it.

If you would like a PDF of this pattern and have a Ravelry account, a copy can be found here.

If you would prefer a PDF from Etsy, it can be found here.

Feel free to change the thread, gauge, or size to fit your needs.  Add an edging, or leave it as is.  Just please do not try to sell this pattern as your own.

If you have any problems that you think that I might be able to help you with, email me at GridMammalCrafts@gmail.com .

Happy Halloween.

The Busy Spider

At once the little spider jumped out into the breeze, 
And landed on a fence post with the gentlest of ease.
She quickly got herself to work at spinning up her web,
And when her work all was done, she scampered off to bed.
Now I did not see her home as I climbed into the yard, 
But I certainly took notice when I found my way was barred.
I struggled and I swore, but it was all for naught.
For when it came down to it, I was absolutely caught.
Che came down to greet me and I plainly heard her say,
"Oh lucky me, I get to eat what cannot get away."

The Busy Spider Doily

Materials:
·         2 Spools Aunt Lydia’s Crochet Thread, Classic 10, %100 Mercerized Cotton, Color: Black, 350 yds
·         Size 8, 1.5 mm Crochet Hook
·         Small Darning Needle
Gauge:
·         46.2 stitches x 23.4 rows = 4” x  4”
·         15.4 squares x 23.4 rows = 4” x 4”
Finished Size:
·         20.5” Wide x 13.5” Tall
Notes:
·         Chart rows that are highlighted yellow are duplicate rows from a previous chart.
·         Remember, the last double crochet stitch in a block is the first double crochet stitch of the next block
·         All instructions are written in American crochet terminology.



Key:
            Filet Crochet
·         Filled Square = 1 Double Crochet Stitch through the top of the next 4 stitches from the previous row
-          First Filled Square in Row
-          Filled Square
·         Open Square = 1 Double Crochet Stitch, Chain 2, skip 2 stitches of the previous row, 1 Double Crochet Stitch in the next stitch of the previous row
-          Open Square
Chart Layout:
·         Unfortunately, for ease of reading, the pattern had to be broken up over several pages.  The edges of each row and column are numbered and the section of the pattern is labelled with a header.  The sections are oriented as shown in the following table.  I would suggest, depending on your tastes, working along an entire row as you go along.  This will take you across a couple pattern pieces as you finish each line.  On the final page you will find the pattern in its entirety, but very small to fit on a single page.
A
B
C
D

Just the Beginning:
Base: Chain 238 (loosely) + chain 3     
                        (This the will create a base chain of 238 and the chain 3 will be the first double stitch of the wall of the first square)
            Row 1: Turn work, double crochet into the fifth chain from the hook, double crochet into the next 236 ch
            Row 2: Chain 3, turn work, dc into the second dc from the hook, dc into the next 235 dc, dc in the end ch 3
            Rows 3, 4,  & 5: Chain 3, turn work, dc into the second dc from the hook, dc into the next 5dc, (ch 2, skip 2 dc, dc in the next dc) x 3, dc in the next 6 dc, (ch 2, skip 2 dc, dc in the next dc) x 65, dc in the next 6 dc, (ch 2, skip 2 dc, dc in the next dc) x 3, dc in the next 5 dc,  dc in the end ch 3



Charts:
A

B

C

D

Whole Chart




No comments:

Post a Comment