With all of the hustle and bustle, sometimes it's good to just sit a minute and enjoy a warm cookie. Or grab half a dozen while dashing out of the house to be hastily eaten in the car.
In honor of this time of year I present my gluten-free go-to cookie of choice. They are sweet, high in fiber, and designed for people who may have a few food allergies. I have been tweaking this recipe for the last few years and think that I have it about right. Currently the cookies are made without gluten, dairy, or nuts, but any of these things can be added back in if you want to.
Enjoy at home, on the go, or at whatever even you've been invited to bake for.
Gluten Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup Spectrum, Organic All Vegetable Shortening
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour
½ Cup Brown Rice Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups Oat Meal (I like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Scottish)
1 cup Enjoy Life, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a mixer, mix together shortening and sugars until they are well mixed and creamy.
4. Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla, mixing well between each addition.
5. Add your bowl of dry ingredients slowly and mix well, but do not over mix.
6. Remove bowl from mixer, mix in oatmeal by hand.
7. After oats are well mixed in, mix in chocolate chips by hand.
8. Drop spoon sized dollops onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 9 minutes.
This recipe is of course for near sea level altitude.